September 13, 2009

Wedding Jitters

If I knew then what I know now, I would have had a small wedding in the back yard and only invited family and a very few close friends. I was excited to get married but the fanfare gave me a bit of nervous anxiety that I would have been happy to do without. Though I'm still proud of the cake that cost about $10 and fed everyone that came that wanted cake and still had leftovers.

So onto my jitters. I had a bunch of stuff stored in my dad's attic that I needed to move out and into our new apartment. The week before, I was up there getting boxes and loading up my stuff to move. You know how most attics aren't finished unless you finish them? Well my stuff was on parts that didn't have any kind of flooring down on the studs. So I was standing on the studs, beams or whatever they are called, lifting a box when I lost my balance and stepped in between the studs and my foot when right through the ceiling. Luckily I came to a stop on top of the fridge.

OH CRAP!!! I just ruined my dad's ceiling!!! and I was getting married in a few days. I was immediately terrified that he was going to be furious and disown me or refuse to walk me down the aisle. Or charge me to fix it and I didn't have a job yet!!! Well that was a little dramatic, but I was really upset that I was in the attic standing on his fridge. I called my soon to be husband and forgot to tell him that there was a fridge under me. So imagine what he pictured, me falling 10 feet to the floor with legs and arms mangled in directions they aren't supposed to go! If he were a woman he would have imagined a wedding with me being wheeled down the aisle in a body cast.

On the bright side, my dad was glad that the fridge was there, and it was something he knew how to fix and so it didn't even come close to breaking the bank. So in the end it wasn't so bad. We all survived. But it didn't relieve any of my other jitters. How do you tell a new bride and her mother that less is more. Most people will tell you that my wedding was more less than more. But I fought for less and hind-sight being 20/20, would have preferred much less than I even fought for. That would have lessened the jitters greatly.

Do any of you have any great wedding jitters stories? The funnier the better!

3 comments:

Tina T said...

We had about 50 people at our wedding, so I had no real jitters. Our soloist did get into a car accident on the way to our wedding and ending up singing halfway through the reception instead of during the wedding. Our wedding fell on the first sizable snowfall of the season, so the only stress was hoping that everyone would be able to come. I'm glad that we spent 6 months planning our wedding instead of 2 years like some of my friends. I think that nothing can live up to the hype of 2 years of planning.

Erik said...

You are SOOOOOOOOOOOO lucky that fridge was there.

Amber Sunshine said...

you are telling me!! while I've never broken a bone in my life, I did have a nasty sprain once that put me on crutches.

and Tina, I'm all about short planning...I was out of the country for most of our engagement so had about 4 weeks to get most everything done. though my mom did a few things for me ahead of time...needless to say, it was a pretty low maintenance wedding too... oh and we probably had that many or maybe a few more show up to ours, and that was still too much center of attention for me :) Though by that time I knew if I could survive stepping through the ceiling, i could survive the 10-15 minutes in front of a bunch of people.