December 6, 2009

Is Crying Because You Lost Manly?

Here's one for the guys that the ladies can maintain interest in and an have an opinion about. The premise is not "is it ok for a man to cry ever," because I will agree that there are appropriate times for a man to cry. Well in reality this should apply to women too, however it's more acceptable for women to cry for no reason or at the drop of a hat. What shouldn't be appropriate for women is to cry as a manipulation tool, which many of us either have done or do.

But I digress.

Yesterday after Florida's loss to Alabama (college football for those of you still not following me), Florida's quarterback Tim Tebow was crying. Of course he was spared from the cameras so there were plenty of good shots of him crying so there's no mistaking that he had something stuck in his eyes other than tears. They didn't even stack up to Alabama and he was crying because they lost. This isn't the first time he's cried because his team lost a game.

I personally think it's awkward for a man to show such a display after losing a game. And I think less of him as a man. It makes him look like a spoiled brat that he didn't get his way. Little kids cry after losing a game, not men. My first thought is does that boy have a daddy to teach him how to be a man? Or did he only have a mother and thus learned how not to control his emotions when it's appropriate to control them.

Losing a game is not an appropriate time to cry. Though feel free to disagree with me if you like. You'll still be wrong in my eyes. And I'm sure I'll remain wrong in your eyes. I don't much care for crying for joy either after a win, but that's less offensive than crying because you didn't win the game. Tell me what you think.

8 comments:

Erik said...

Crying because you lose a game or don't get what you want in sports/business seems selfish, childish and a bit ridiculous.

Because you had your heart broken or lost a dear friend? A reasonable response.

Brian Dixon said...

When I get the urge to cry, regardless of the reason, I don't need anybody's condescending judgment about it. Frankly, I'm offended by the sexism of the macho guilt trip you're laying on men (although I still admire your blog in general). Passionlessness is not a virtue. Boo (hoo)!

Amber Sunshine said...

Don't worry Brian, I hate it when women cry too...I was merely stating the fact that it seems much more acceptable for women cry. I'm with Erik, heart broken, or loss of a dear friend or family memeber is appropriate for both men and women. Sports and the work place in general (let's not kid ourselves, the football field is his job) is just immature.

If you want to cry in a private moment I pass no judgement as long as you are not using it to manipulate anyone or to pout about losing a game...cry away...

Adam said...

I agree.

Winning a big game is appropriate to cry. It's a different sort.

Sandi K said...

I think sometimes it's understandable. If the team loses after those guys pour everything they've got into doing their best it's got to be a huge letdown, then combine that with the physical aspect (fatigue after an adrenaline rush), I get it. It still seems childish, though. Definitely ok if someone's died or there's major heartbreak involved. If they didn't cry then, they would seem awfully cold.

Anonymous said...

whether u cry or laugh, if it's a the result of intense emotion, it's fine to do, regardless u do it public or private .... :)

Anonymous said...

whether u cry or laugh, if it's the result of intense emotion, it's fine to do, regardless u do it public or private .... :)

The Hawg! said...

Nah. Tebow shouldn't have been sobbing after that loss. Certainly unmanly...